3/19/2007

Elated

After I waited for this for a month (really every time I see him, I think I have been waiting for this all my life), March 18th finally came and I went to see Hossein Alizadeh and his group, Ham Avayan, in a private concert in a home in Fremont. Not the super expensive ticket, not the miles and miles I had to drive there, not the piled up exhaustion of hard work and the insomnia of late, nothing was going to get in the way of my going to this event. And it was simply awesome. He was accompanied by both a male and a female vocalist, his twin sons, and two other instrumentalists. He talked to us about music, bedaheh navazi (spontaneous music or “jamming”), and how an audience can participate in it by being responsive and creating motivation for the artists. He is so down-to-earth and so full of energy; funny, too. The whole house was filled to the brim with people, all touched and made emotional by the electric energy of the Master and his young ensemble. What a wonderful night this was. I am honored to have been able to go see him again for what must be the 14th time in concert. I wished I knew how to put one of the tracks of his new CD here for you to hear. They performed a song based on a poem by my beloved Fereidoon Moshiri, and it was so well-delivered. It is called Ode To Flowers. I hope you don’t think I’m sounding over the top about this; there is something in that man’s soul which once he picks up that Tar, turns into magical waves of reflection, joy, and happiness for his audience. My heart is singing today.

No comments: