3/14/2009

The Mission

Isfahan in blossoms.
My house is shaping up slowly, but surely. It was a cloudy and cold day here today, momentarily shaking my belief in the coming of spring. Then I went out to take some of the mountains of garbage to the receptacle, and I saw them. The new buds on the tree just outside my house, which is as close to a "front yard" as I can have living in a townhouse. They were there for sure, the branches moving with the cold wind but not relenting their business of growth and the promise of spring. I felt tender love for the resilience and devotion that tree feels in the face of adversity. It has a mission and it won't give up, it won't retreat, and it won't compromise. If only I could remember that mission in my life, too, never giving up on what I think is the right thing to do. For the first time in my life I thought today that trees are wiser and stronger than people, and as such a lot more important and trustworthy. We need to work on hanging in there, too, everyday, and all the time. That's the only way we can carry out our mission and give others hope and strength. I want to be a tree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

چون درین دل برق ِ مهر دوست جَست
اندر آن دل دوستی می دان که هست
جذب آبست این عطش در جان ِ ما
ما از آن ِ او و او هم آن ِ ما
حکمت حق در قضا و در قَدَر
کرد ما را عاشقان ِ همدگر
جمله اجزای جهان زان حکم پیش
جفت جفت و عاشقان ِ جفت ِ خویش
هست هر جزوی ز عالم جفت خواه
راست همچون کهربا و برگ کاه
آسمان گوید زمین را مرحبا
با توام چون آهن و آهن ربا
آسمان مرد و زمین زن در خِرَد
هرچه آن انداخت این می پرورد
چون نماند گرمی اش بفرستد او
چون نماند ترّی و نم بدهد او
....
پس زمین و چرخ را دان "هوشمند"
چونک کار هوشمندان می کنند
.....
4394-4410 مثنوی، دفتر سوم

سلام و با این امید که ما از این خرد و هوشمندی طبیعت بهره ها ببریم. عشق در بیان مولانا در این شعر اشاره به گرایش و میل ِ هر جزئی از هستی دارد به سوی همپار خویش برای رسیدن به کمال (تکمیل و کامل شدن) و وحدت و اتفاق.
شاد باشید و برقرار نازی خانم عزیز

Nazy said...

Dear Kind and Generous Alef Shin:

I am delighted to see you back, my friend! I tried to get into your blogs but faced technical difficulties! How are you, and how have you been?!

Thank you for the beautiful poem and the usual words of wisdom. I do expect wise words of you, but I never get used to the impact they have on me. I am humbled yet, again.

I will reply to your kind note soon. I have had to learn a few lessons recently, and I'm bouncing back, hopefully a little wiser!

I hope your beautiful family and your home are prospering and enjoying the promise of the New Day, Nowruz. You are forever, a wonderful teacher and a generous friend to me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

دستهایم را در باغچه می کارم
سبز خواهم شد می دانم می دانم می دانم
و پرستو ها در گودی انگشتان جوهریم
تخم خواهند گذاشت
...

With best spring wishes for you Nazy jan!
Be good.

by Mahtab said...

بوی عیدی بوی توت بوی کاغذ رنگی
بوی تند ماهی‌ دودی وسط سفره‌ء نو
بوی یاس جانماز ترمه‌ مادربزرگ
با اینا زمستونو سر می‌کنم با اینا خستگی‌مو در می‌کنم
شادی شکستن قلک پول
وحشت کم شدن سکه‌ء عیدی از شمردن زیاد
بوی اسکناس تا نخورده‌ء لای کتاب
با اینا زمستونو سر می‌کنم با اینا خستگی مو در می‌کنم

مسعود said...

بر تو خوانم ز دفتر اخلاق
آیتی در وفا و در بخشش
هر که بخراشدت جگر به جفا
همچو کان کریم زر بخشش
کم مباش از درخت سایه فکن
هر که سنگت زند ثمر بخشش
از صدف یاد دار نکته‌ی حلم
هر که برد سرت گهر بخشش
حافظ
بازهم دوست داری درخت باشی؟
آسون نیست.ولی تو تلاشتو بکن.موفق میشی

Niloufar said...

Nazy joonam, I am glad that you are back to daily writing. I missed you so much. Mwah.