4/23/2008

A Car Without A Name

Workers dying carpet wool in Zanjan, April 14, 2008.
My little car, Shabdiz, has been put to rest by the insurance company. They said it would have cost more to repair it than to replace it. I was sad about that for a few weeks, because Shabdiz and my boys and I had had quite a few memories together over the past year-and-a-half. So many of the good and bad memories we made happened when we were driving that car. More than my "wheels" and a mode of transportation, it was my sanctuary and refuge from so much in life. My kids and I had long laughing sessions, screaming matches, and music discovery and re-discovery times in it. Both of them learned how to drive in that car--Oh My God, that was something, remember?! So many times I sat in that car by myself, crying my eyes out, or writing something in my head as I was commuting to and from work. Well, it is gone now. I picked up my new car today. This one is the same car as Shabdiz, only it's brand new. I will have to get to know it before it, too, can feel like an extension of our group. It will need a name first. It could be named Rakhsh (Rostam's horse), or Golgoon (Shirin's other horse, identical to Shabdiz), or Yaghoot (Morad Barghi's car--does anybody remember that one!?). I rather liked the name Shabdiz, though! Can I call this one Shabdiz, too? I don't know. It feels so disloyal to my blue Shabdiz to go buy a brand new gold car and call it Shabdiz again, as though that original one never existed! I know I must sound like a sentimental fool to you, but help me out, please!Tell me, what do you think?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it terrible of me to want you to name the car "Yaghoot"??? I grew up hearing about Morad Barghi and I think naming the car Yaghoot would be the cutest thing!!

Unknown said...

My first and only car died in chicago about 1 year ago and I had to donate it after 7 years.. I had a lot of memories with it. I liked my loneliness in it. It was my refuge when I needed to cry without being noticed.. I had so many memories with it..

Esfand` said...

hehe ... Shabdiz is such a cute name :D go with it again .... hehe...imagine ur car was like a loyal phoenix which rose form its own ashes :D
concept of second life, reinCARnation :D and go on making new memories~
Have a good !

مسعود said...

سلام نازی خانم
اسم دیگری برای این یکی انتخاب کن.شاید بقول مولانا از زبان سنگ: که

ما سمیعیم و بصیریم و خوشیم
با شما نامحرمان ما خامشیم

نگاهش کن ،باتو حرف میزند

Anonymous said...

salam nazy jan. khoubi?
gahi pish miad ke intori vabaste mishim be chizhayi ke hamraheshun koli khatere dashtim. neveshtatun dust dashtani bud va dust dashtane shabdiz ham kamelan ghabele darke va hame tajrobehaye moshabeh dashtim. man ehsas mikonam shakhte ke mashine jadidetun ro ke hanuz gharibast be neme hamun mashin ashenaye ghabli seda bezanin.
omidvaram roozhaye khoob va khoshi ro ba mashine jadidetun dar pish dashte bashid va in taze vared ham kam kam ashenaye ruzhaye khosh beshe...

Anonymous said...

salam nazy jan. khoubi?
gahi pish miad ke intori vabaste mishim be chizhayi ke hamraheshun koli khatere dashtim. neveshtatun dust dashtani bud va dust dashtane shabdiz ham kamelan ghabele darke va hame tajrobehaye moshabeh dashtim. man ehsas mikonam shakhte ke mashine jadidetun ro ke hanuz gharibast be neme hamun mashin ashenaye ghabli seda bezanin.
omidvaram roozhaye khoob va khoshi ro ba mashine jadidetun dar pish dashte bashid va in taze vared ham kam kam ashenaye ruzhaye khosh beshe...

Anonymous said...

linke ghabli ro eshtebah copy/paste kardam umadam dorost konam comment 2 bar post shod! bebakhshid.

Daisy said...

Salam Nazy jon,

How about Shabdiz Jr. or Shabdiz the Second :D I'm just kidding.
I also vote for "Yaghoot". This name will make everyone smile. Aslo it helps to differentiate between the two cars. If you name your new car Shabdiz again when you are telling a story you have to refer to the old Shabdiz or the new Shabdiz . It makes it too complicated.

Nava said...

OMG! Definitely Yaghoot, please! I am not telling only for Marad barghi, but because we had an old "Volkswagen Beetle", called Yaghoot, and I loved it as a little girl. For a relative's wedding, Yaghoot was the carrier for the bride and the groom, so we made a wide and lond purple ribbon and tied a nice papillon on top of it...It was so cute at that time!
Well, the story goes back to almost 20 years ago, after that, when yaghoot was really old, we had to sell it. I still miss it sometimes!

Niloufar said...

Hi Nazy jan
I can't wait to hear about your memories with your new car in future :-)
I also vote for "Golgoon" .

Anonymous said...

salam Nazy joon,
I know I haven't been around for a while, I'm sorry.
For your car's name I suggest "Tala" since you mentioned it is gold; I also like Esfand's idea though.

Anonymous said...

Cute post!
I like naming cars.
Nazy jan may I ask the color of your new car?
If it's red or a color close to that, then I vote for Golgoon!
Best wishes,
Pardis

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm sorry Nazy jan, You have mentioned its color, "Gold".

But I still vote for "Golgoon"! ;);)

Pardis!

Anonymous said...

you watch it carefully. if you can call it SHABDIZ why not , do it . or you can find an other appropriate name,
also it was nice nostalgia about yaghoot . it was an old Mercedes 170. I loved that

Anonymous said...

I also think you better pick a name other than Shabdiz so that you could diffrentiate...Both Yaghoot & Golgoon are nice but I think Yaghoot sounds easier...

Now let me tell you about few names for my cars ( masculin ofcourse ) :

- My previous car : RASHID
- My current car: TOOFAN
- My next car will be: FOOLAD