4/22/2008

Sounds of A Day

Iranian dancer at British Museum's Magical Persia Family Weekend, April 19-20, 2008. Photo by Parima Shahin Moghaddam, from Iranian.com.
5:30 a.m. Alarm sound. A car goes by.
6:00 a.m. Second alarm sound. Birds chriping outside.
6:15 a.m. The sound of running water in the shower. Hair dryer. High heels on hardwood.
7:00 a.m. The sound of electric tea pot going off. A car passes by.
7:15 a.m. "Hey, bro, wake up!"
7:45 a.m. "Hello Beautiful! Khoobi?" Running water in the boys' shower.
7:55 a.m. "Hey Mom..." "Do you think you can buy me some black and white film in Berkeley today? I need it for my photography class." "Have a nice day...."
8:05 a.m. "I can't believe you're finally coming to visit us in June..."
8:10 a.m. "It's going to be a chilly day...expect rain later in the day...traffic on I-24....."
8:15 a.m. "What's love got to do with it.......When the lights go down in the City..."
9:10 a.m. "Hi Nazy, are you going to that meeting? I'll go with you."
11:00 a.m. "Oh My God! Where have you been? I called your office all last week and you wouldn't pick up!....."
12:00 p.m. "Thank you all for coming to this meeting on your lunch break..."
1:00 p.m. "I am closing the 'total loss' file on your car and ending your rental tomorrow..."
1:50 p.m. "Chetori? I miss you. Wanna go do something together on Sunday?"
2:30 p.m. "It's settled. Dinner at my house on Friday. Sorry, didn't realize you were in a meeting! Bye!"
4:00 p.m. "Can you sign off on this line, please?"
5:00 p.m. "Where are you Mom?"
6:00 p.m. "Black and white?"
7:00 p.m. "Salaaaaam. Cheeetooori? My Farsi is improving, don't you think?"
7:15 p.m. "Nazy Jaan...."
8:00 p.m. "Salam Maman! I'm starving..."
8:15 p.m. "Delicious, thank you, I just love Persian food..." "Want something to drink, Paul?"
8:45 p.m. "Salam Khanoom Kaviani...." "Salam Khanoom Kaviani..." "Salam Khanoom Kaviani"
9:00 p.m. "Can you boys keep it down, please? I'm trying to write...."
9:20 p.m. Sound of front door closing. Quiet house, humming computer, sprinklers going off outside.
9:45 p.m. Six young men laughing, practising Spanish...my heart sings...

13 comments:

abc said...

aval!

abc said...

Dear Nazy
It sounds a busy day!
and full of hope and Energy...
hope you happy news and lovely moments.
booos
Halat

مسعود said...

سلام نازی خانم

این همه آواز خوش
از برکلی
از زندگی

باید الان بروم.
این می تواند مایه یک شعر باشد.
شاد باشید

بانوي جشنواره زمستان said...

سلام نازي جونم
چقدر جالب
من هم چند وقت پيش مي خواستم يه پست بگذارم با عنوان
my to do list!
خوش باشي

Anonymous said...

That's interesting.
I call it a penglish day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nazi,
I am one of the schizophrenic men that speak about in a 2007 article. I don't have time to elaborate, but I think you will find me to be a cool kat. I need to be networked in the persian community for reasons that I will share with you in the future.

My name is Hamid Daie. I have the same distaste for the surrealism that is our lives as you do. drop me and e-mail and lets talk hdaie@yahoo.com

jeerjeerak said...

loved the piece.

Anonymous said...

Very very nice post.
Khosh baashi ,hamishe
Aida

Chakameh Azimpour said...

Isn't that lovely what you just wrote? Loved it Nazy joon.

Anonymous said...

I was laughing to myself when I read "Black and white?"

Did you forget? ;)

Unknown said...

I have missed that life..

Shadi said...

i just loved the feel of this post, content, aware, looking from above, peace and harmony...
آخ که چقدر ذوق مرگ شدم وقتی خوندمش نمی دونم چرا این قدر حس خوبی بهم داد
شاید اون آرامش و آگاهی توی گذر زمانش بود

شاد باشی نازی جون

مسعود said...

هلاآمد ندای خوش بگوش ازبرکلی اززندگی
شورمهرمادری آمدبجوش از برکلی
از زندگی

شار آب و بانگ بلبل،بوی گل
پر مشام جان شود از برکلی
از زندگی

قیل و قال این و آن،بله جان و جان دل
خوش مرامی میرسد از برکلی
از زندگی

روز سرد و انتظار نم نم باران زپی
شب فرازد ماه عشق از برکلی
از زندگی

روزها از پی دویده در هوای حال دوست
گوهمی آید چنین حال وخبر از برکلی اززندگی

جمع چون یاران بهم گردند از روی صفا
ای خوشا آوازدل کاید برون از برکلی از زندگی