9/11/2007

Going Home

The road I take going home from work everyday in Berkeley/Oakland Hills.
Over the years, the shapes and sizes of houses where I have lived have changed. From my huge childhood house in suburban Tehran, to a tiny college-student studio in Berkeley, to the house in which I now live with my children, and all the small and huge houses in between, the shapes, addresses, cities, and continents of my residences have changed. Things and people in those houses have also somewhat changed based on circumstances governing my life at different times. At no time in my life, however, have I felt the peace and happiness I feel these days when I go home at the end of the day. I have come to realize that the house doesn't matter. It is the "home" that matters, that which gives us peace and happiness, the place where we feel relaxed and joyful to be, to eat, to think, to laugh, to cry, and to live and love. I'm glad I am finally out of houses, and that I live in a home, where I believe I have everything a person could ever need in life, where people await or meet you lovingly and eagerly, where there is peace. I have that home now, and it has taken me many years to reach it, but I'm there. Each day I leave work at the end of the day these days, I tell myself I'm going home to my home.

14 comments:

Tameshk said...

Nazy Joon

Drive Safe!
It is not even a day and I've missed you already!

Anonymous said...

نازی عزیز می‌خواهی بگویی سرای دل مهم است، نه در و پیکر خانه‌. سرای دل شما پرمهر و شاد باد!‏
گفتم سرای دل را ره کو و در کدام است
گفتا به دل رَهی نیست این خانه در ندارد
گفتم رَهی به کویَت بنمای اهل دل را
گفتا که راه عشق‌ست راهی دگر ندارد ‏
‏(فیض کاشانی)‏

Anonymous said...

Last night I was driving through the tunnel to pick up my boyfriend from the Oakland Airport and a rush of dark fog met me as I was greeted by the Berkeley Hills.

You are lucky to pass by it everyday!

Nazy said...

Tameshk-e Azizam! I miss you, too! You and Hossein are delightful. I should like to tink that I am fairly real myself and when I meet other people outside of their virtual identities and see their beauty and humanity as real tangible attributes, my heart dances with joy. Meeting you had my old ticker dancing a dance even bigger and better than Moshkin Ghalam's! Come back soon my delightful friend.

Nazy said...

Alef Shin-e Kam Peida! Yes, that's what I was trying to say. "This is the way of love, there is no other way." That's correct. No other way than the way of love. I don't know anything about Feiz-e-Kashani. Can you help? Thanks for coming.

Nazy said...

Beautiful Assal: Can you feel the autumn in the air these days? All of a sudden the fog is denser and lower, reminding us that the Bay Area autumn is descending upon us. Being an autumn child myself, all my senses wake up at the end of summer to gear up for my favorite season of the year (well, it's a toss-up between autumn and spring for me). Residan-e Parham be kheir. Enjoy your young loves Assal Jan.

Anonymous said...

سرای دل ...
چه جالب ...

Anonymous said...

Nazy aziz
many thing changes but not every thing ...

Nazy said...

You are so right Universal Jan. We can re-build and re-generate new lives and "homes" based on our capabilities and emotions--the ones we take with us each time we move. Thanks for reminding me of that. Be good.

Anonymous said...

نازی عزیز از نوجه شما ممونم. ما خواننده ی همیشگی شما هستیم.
ملا محسن فیض کاشانی فیلسوف، ادیب و عارف قرن یازده هجری قمری و داماد ملاصدرا بوده است. کتاب وافی او که در شرح اخبار و روایات اربعه ی شیعه است معروفیت بسیار دارد. آن قطعه شعر را هم از یکی از غزل های وی در دیوان اشعارش انتخاب کردم

Nazy said...

Thank you for the explanation, Alef Shin. I will go look him up soon. Very touching poetry. Thanks again.

SERENDIP said...

I love this post. I'm so thrilled for you. Welcome home.

Anonymous said...

:)
من که کار مهمی نکردم ...
شمایین که باید کلی کار کنی و تازه هوای بقیه رو هم داشته باشی ...

Nazy said...

Thank you Serendip! It really is good to be home.