8/18/2007

Music of My Heart

I was an audience of one to someone’s sweet Setar for a little while tonight. My soul is longing for Iranian music now. I want to listen to some Daf, but there is no one to play for me, and my Daf playing is simply not good enough to cheer me up. So, I would like to take you to listen to some Daf with me tonight. But first I share with you one of my earlier posts, when I was only writing for myself (my “blogger-makhfi” time). It's entitled "Daf."
It whirls and sings and jumps out of his hands, only to return and to resume the magical and intoxicating beat of music of a different kind and texture, sporadically augmented with the sound of chains chiming. Mohammad Vali once read me a poem in which heaven was described. Among the imagery the poem described, it said: “…and people there play music, a different kind of music, with a different instrument, something we have never seen before, something that might resemble a Daf… .” Tonight I was in heaven, listening to Pejman, playing the Daf so masterfully. I wished he would play longer…..I wished he would live up here to play for us everyday.….I wished we could all be together everyday……I wished Mohammad Vali were still alive. He is up in heaven, playing the instrument that might resemble a Daf. I remember his funeral quite well….his son and his best friend played the Daf as he was put down in the grave….they cried and played and cried and played…and just as dirt was shoveled onto his grave, the two of them kissed their Dafs and threw them into his grave, to be buried with him. I think he is playing the instrument that might resemble a Daf, and I miss him, my friend.
Now watch this artistic video clip produced in protest of war by by Abbas Bakhtiari who lives in France. Though other instruments and vocals are used in the music, Daf is the predominant instrument in this production. Now, please see this video clip where Mirfarsad Malekniya and Kambiz Mohitafi perform a Daf duo. If you are still with me, watch this amazing Kurd musician, Keivan Alimoradi, play a solo Daf. An excellent presentation. And last, this is sweet, watch this American man, Matt, play our Daf. No dance this week. You can imagine the dance of angels in heaven to the tune of Daf in your minds. Be good you all, celebrate life, love, and laughter. Enjoy your weekend and don't forget to tell those who occupy your hearts that you love them. When they say it back to you, rejoice, as you are a complete person now.

10 comments:

midnight/... said...

I am grateful to be near my little brother who plays daf! jaaye shomaa khaali!

Anonymous said...

نازی جون پس شما دف هم میزنید.مطمئن بودم که توی همه هنرها دست دارین.فقط یک انسان هنرمند میتونه به این زیبایی یک هنر را به تصویر بکشه

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. thanks.

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised to not see a dance, but this was such a pleasant surprise! Thank you..

Nazy said...

Nimeh Shab Jan: Are you back? I'm delighted to see you here again. I hope you have had a lovely holiday. Aaah, the Daf, my favorite musical instrument. It must make you so proud to hear your brother play. My best to your brother, M., and little Arman.

Nazy said...

Mana Jan: Haha, I am terrible in playing the Daf. I just love the sound of it and how it feels so good in my hands. I am not an artist by any stretch of imagination, but I do love arts and artists. Be good Mana Jan.

Nazy said...

Salam Serendip! Boy, I'm still impressed with the picture of the birds nest atop your pine tree! What kind of birds live in it, eagles?! Thanks for coming.

Nazy said...

Haha Assal! First, where have you been? Second, I try not to be too predictable! Third, the Abbas Bakhtiari video clip has some dance in it! I hope to have something fabulous for you guys on dance, soon. Be good and come by soon.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE JOINED THE WORKFORCE!! I COME HOME AND SLEEP UNTIL MORNING! I MISS YOU DEARLY!

Nazy said...

Assal Jan, khasteh nabashi! How exciting to have a new job! Do call and "disclose" as you lawyer types would say! Be good azizam.