8/21/2007

The Story of Khosrow and Shirin (III)

Let me tell you one of the most beautiful love stories ever written in Persian Literature. It will be summarized. If you would like to read more or in Farsi, let me know and we will figure out a way to make sure you get to see this gem of an Iranian tale. Remember this story. Tell it to your children. They will always remember that they heard about love from you first. Celebrate love Persian style. (Part I here. Part II here. Part III here. Part IV here. Part V here. Part VI here.)
Khosrow went to Roman territory. In Constantinopole, asking for the Roman Caesar's assitance to beat Bahram Choobin, he married Caesar's daughter, Maryam, promising not to marry another. With the help of Caesar's army, he fought Bahram Choobin, beat him and crowned himself King of Iran. Having entered a marriage of political convenience, he continued to miss and pine for Shirin. Shirin's aunt, Mahin Banoo, who had fallen ill, left her territory to Shirin before she died. Shirin's rule over Arman brought release of prisoners, and a betterment of life for the Armenian people. Though she was a beloved ruler, she could not forget Khosrow; however, she couldn't forgive him for his decision to marry Maryam. She spent time thinking about the now King of Iran, Khosrow, the love of her life, until one day she decided she could not bear it anymore. Entrustring her kingdom to others, she got on Golgoon and left Arman for Madaen with a few companions. She settled in a dark and sad residence, far from Khosrow's palace.
Khosrow was not able to see Shirin, as his wife Maryam was jealous of Shirin, keeping Khosrow away from her. Khosrow and Shirin continued to send messages to each other through Shapour. One day Khosrow asked Shapour to tell Shirin to come to a secret meeting place. Shirin was angry at this request, telling Shapour to tell Khosrow that she would not carry on in private with a married man.
اگر شه گوید او را دوست دارم...........بگو کاین عشوه ها ناید به کارم وگر گوید به آن صبحم نیاز است.........بگو بیدار بنشین شب دراز است وگر گوید کشم تنگش در آغوش...........بگو این آرزو بادت فراموش ..... که شیرین گوید ای بد مهر بد عهد.........کجا آن صحبت شیرین تر از شهد مرا ظن بود کز من برنگردی..............خریدار کس دیگر نگردی هزار از بهر می خوردن بود یار.................. یکی از بهر غم خوردن نگهدار

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nazy jan, you have no idea how exciting this story is for me. I love it. thanks for ur work and effort, we appraciate you

Anonymous said...

خیلی جالبه.مرسی از اینکه برامون می نویسید

jeerjeerak said...

Thanks to the power three!

Nazy said...

Romantic Mehran! A love story is always beautiful to tell and to hear. Thanks for being such a forgiving audience! Nezami depicts Shirin as such a strong young woman, beautiful, athletic, poetic, familiar with arts and music and dance, yet devoted to family and honor. Farhad and Shirin are the true hero and heroen of the story. Farhad because he dies and Shirin because she lives. Next week I will write about Farhad. I expect to finish it in two more episodes, though just the encounter between Khosrow and Farhad where they are discussing Shirin is a chapter all unto itself! Have a good evening my friend.

Nazy said...

Beautiful Mana. When I was first talking about Khosrow and Shirin, I so wanted to find some story somewhere on the internet which talks about the story in English. I couldn't find it, that's why I'm telling the story, using an abridged Farsi version. My older son was watching me toil away on my post earlier this evening. He asked me for whom I was writing the story. I looked up at him and I told him that in truth I write it for him and his brother and their children. Sure, they aren't reading it now, but someday when they will want to, just like someday I wanted to, they can have it to read. Literary and educated people will probably never forgive me for having butchered the story! But it is what I can do and I do it with love for whomever reads it. Thanks for coming my friend.

Nazy said...

Jeer Jan, I know I'm not ending it in 2 more episodes like I promised last week. Nezami adores Shirin and talks about her with such love and respect. I get carried away and distracted when I sit down to read it and translate it! Though a lot of what he says about Shirin is not historically accurate, the fact that he holds her in such high esteem should make your Armenian friend happy! Two more posts, I promise, and it will be done. Be good sweet Jeerjeerak.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nazy jan, I was waiting for this part. this story is very exciting.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Best wishes,
-Pardis

Nazy said...

Salam Pardis Jan. I'm glad this series of intrest to you. I am really self conscious now! Be good my friend.

אור-אל said...

Can you translate the Farsi in the bottom?