8/31/2007

The Clouds

Photograph by Traveler
My younger son and I shared a ride into Berkeley this morning. The clouds had put on a spectacular show in the sky. He asked me if I had my camera along. This is significant, as the two of them are usually rather sick of my carrying a camera everywhere to “capture the moments!” He fetched it from my purse and got busy capturing the amazing formation of the clouds. Around the windy bit of the freeway we take into Berkeley, as our angle kept changing and hills kept appearing and disappearing from view, he kept snapping pictures. I know I have told you before, but I can’t stop my astonishment every time I see him face his environment these days. He is cool, confident, and quiet as usual, but something has changed in him, making him softer, calmer, more peaceful, and a real treat to have around. He washes his own clothes, and is meticulous about getting to work and class on time. When I got home last night, he had cleaned his room and bathroom and had even swept the house—all a first-- in anticipation of my two older cousins who will be visiting this weekend. Something about him reminds me of when he was still an infant and I left him with his nanny to go to work everyday, rushing home to see him and hold him after work, looking carefully at his face and his body, knowing for sure that he had changed while I was gone. These days he is in another “growth spurt,” only this time his limbs and bones are not stretching and growing. His soul grows everyday, I think. Every time I see him at the end of the day, I swear he shows signs of growing wiser.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Observer observes the Traveler. The Traveler travels the Observed.

Anonymous said...

What a joyful story. Thank your for the generosity of your spirit that makes you share it with your readers.

Nazy said...

Alef Shin. You amaze me. I would have never thought of that play on words! I thank you for the compliment; the word play is simply priceless. Thank you.

Nazy said...

Serendip Jan. No, thank YOU for making it a pleasure to share. Thank YOU for being so generous of spirit with me, everytime and all the time. مستمع صاحب سخن را بر سر ذوق آورد

Be good Serendip and enjoy your long weekend.

Anonymous said...

Playing of the words ...
:(
I am not really ok today or it is better to say these days ...
I heard some thing bad too ..
but your travel story and the comments make me laught ...

Nazy said...

Uni-Far:

Thanks for coming my friend. I'm sorry these are not good days for you. We go through life never knowing how each day would turn out. We must try and maintain a level of agility and emotional buoyancy at all times if we can, to weather the harder days, keeping our heads above the water until our seas settle down.

Alef Shin is forever playing with words! I wonder if he ever does crossword puzzles, and how long it takes him to finish one!

Anonymous said...

Everything posted about the Traveler just seems to brighten up my day!

Nazy said...

Ha ha Assal! You just have a soft spot in your heart for him, that's all! I hope you won't tell him everything you read here! Though they are quite aware that I am working on my blog regularly, they don't feel compelled to check it, which is a blessing, or I won't hear the end of it! Since they were very young I used to read to them, so there's a long-standing ritual in our family, where I can get them, only occasionally these days, to sit and listen to me read to them. Sometimes I read my posts or other writings to them, and they listen and comment. Those are my best days. Be good Assal Jan.

Anonymous said...

:))
thank you ...
you are really good friend for me (us) ...

Nazy said...

Uni-Dimension: And you are a fabulous friend to me, really! I am honored you come and visit me. Be good aziz.