11/15/2007

Take Me To Kurdistan

Sanandaj Bazaar in Kurdistan, Iran. Photo by Arash Ashoorinia.
I have many Kurd friends. Colorful, vivacious, and kind, Iranian Kurds are some of the nicest people I have ever known. My Kurd friend, Leila, is generous, beautiful, and a most superb and soulful singer. I love their music and I love their dance. I have tried to learn their dance steps, but I have been an utter failure in that effort! I once listened to a lecture by Maestro Hossein Alizadeh, in which he was describing the nuances of Kurdish music. He said Kurdish music is mostly the music of agricultural work and movement, motivating and inspiring farmers to move. When their dance music reaches its crescendo, I have learned to step back and let them do it themselves, where my most humble contribution becomes serving the spectacle as a spectator. Ah, watching that energy grips me and mesmerizes me, taking me to a place as yet unseen, Kurdistan. Kurdistan is on the list of places I want to visit someday. I so hope for it to be soon.
Watch this video clip of Kurdish music, performed by my friend and neighbor, Rojan, and the Shams Ensemble, directed by Tahmoures Pournazeri. It's electric. Enjoy.

11 comments:

jeerjeerak said...

Kurdish music and dance is superb, said a Kurd quadroon:)

Marzieh said...

I love their dancing too..

Thank you dear Nazy!

Marzieh said...

سلام

وای این روژان خیلی با احساس می خونه

مرسی نازی جان
(راستی یادتون رفت لینک رو برام بدین

Anonymous said...

"قصه نقاش شدن مکرمه، زنی که در جوانی به آرایشگری و خیاطی برای اهالی روستا مشغول بود، به سرنوشت گاو محبوبش گره خورده است. گاوی داشت که هر روز به چرایش می برد، اما زانوانش دیگر یاری نمی کرد و پزشک از پیاده روی های طولانی منعش کرده بود. این شد که فرزندان، پنهانی گاو را فروختند و مکرمه از غصه گاو به نقاشی روی آورد. ابتدا با گل روی تخته سنگ های روستا."ء

سلام نازی خانم عزیز! مکرمه را حتماً می شناسید، نه؟! بد نیست نگاهی نیز به سوی او داشته باشید

Anonymous said...

I have lived in Kermanshah for 3 years when I was 11 to 14. My best memories of Iran blongs to those years.

Siah said...

It was so coool, especially the first video

Nazy said...

Salam Jeer Jan! I didn't know you had some Kurdish blood in you! That's fabulous! Of course, I am proud of you for the fantastic young woman that you are, full of intelligence, charm, and grace; but knowing that you are also a Kurd endears you to me further! Have a safe trip and a good weekend my friend.

Nazy said...

Marzieh Jan, Salam. Thanks for coming! Eta-at-e amr shod azizam! I hope you have a great weekend with your beautiful daughter! Be happy Marzieh Jan.

Nazy said...

Salam Bar Alef Shin-e Kam Payda! I am so glad you came. I read the story of Mokarameh. What a fantastic tale of courage and persistence and gifts of love and understanding. I will look into covering her story, to be sure. She said: "I didn't know how to read or write, so I started painting." That is so touching, and shows her endless courage and will to express herself. I am so glad she is remembered and cherished as the treasure that she was and continues to be. Thanks for sharing this fascinating story. Be good and happy Alef Shin Jan, and please do come back soon. Certain blogger friends of mine are showing off with the comments you are leaving them, and it's getting on my nerves (yes, I'm talking about Ala Hazrat.)!

Nazy said...

Bah Bah, Salam Bar Mehran-e Bi Vafa! I'm glad this post finally brought you back to my blog! The closest I ever got to Kurdistan was when I took my children to Azarbaijan and we went to Mahabad. I saw men in their traditional clothes there, talking Kurdish. I want to go to Sanandaj and Kermanshah and Ghasr-e-Shirin and Tagh-e-Bostan. I want to go to a Khaneghah and see the Daravish there. I want to go look at Kurdistan's pure and beautiful nature some day soon. Maybe when we go to Iran, after we have been to Ghaleh Roodkhan with Alef Shin's group and to Kash Village with Farshad, we can also go to Kurdistan together! You will have to stop showing off with Alef Shin's comments for you, though, before I talk to you again! Just kidding, Mehran Jan. Be good and happy and study hard my friend. I miss you.

Nazy said...

Salam Siah Jan. I am using Searchles instead of YouTube, hoping that people in Iran can see the videos, too. The problem is that Searchles groups video clips together and it gets on my nerves! I am so glad you enjoyed the music. Rojan is a wonderful woman and the Shams Ensemble are pure joy to hear. Be good Siah Jan.