12/17/2007

A Yalda Love Story (Part II)

Maranjab Desert, Iran
After the Revolution, Maryam returned to Iran in 1980 to prepare for her university entrance exam (konkoor), but faced the “Cultural Revolution” which would have universities shut down for several years. A few years later she got married and went on to have two children. Her marriage was fraught with problems and unhappiness. In 2000, after moving back and forth between US and Iran several times, she and her husband were divorced, and she moved to US with her two children.*
Amir did return in the summer of 1980, looking for Maryam, but was unable to find the new home to which her parents had moved. His good friend, Morteza, still attending university in UK, wrote him letters in which he expressed hope that Amir would find Maryam some day and start his life with her. Amir continued his education in the US, and was sad to hear a few years later that Maryam had married and had her own family now. In the years to come, Amir, too, got married and had two children. His marriage was not a happy one either, full of arguements, unhappiness, and feelings of loneliness for him. He and his wife finally went their separate ways in 2000.*
*(I ommitted so much about those marriages here. Those details are not pivotal to my story. This story is not about those sad failures and their ensuing losses. I hope in telling the story of those separations, I don't appear insensitive or dismissive of the importance of those events. My story, however, is about something else, and these points are only made to portray the sequence of events, hence their summary descriptions.)
(To Be Continued...)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam
vay cheghdr aghabam az postattttttt
khosh bashi azizam
Marzieh

abc said...

I can guess the end of this story dear nazy
Am I right...;)))
Boos

midnight/... said...

Too short Nazy joon! Please!!

Niloufar said...

I think i know what you are going to talk about My sweet Nazy .I am really excited to read the story . Actually I need it .I need to learn to be strong , to be patient .
thanks nazy jan..Thank you very much

Anonymous said...

I think we should tell the whole story in one sitting, because I'm dying to know what happened, how they thought of eachother, how they looked for eachother..how they hopefully ended up reuniting! Come on Nazy Joonam...I'm such a sappy person, I need the happy ending right now!

Nazy said...

Salam Marzieh Jan:

This is what happens when you disappear for a few days! I hope you have caught up and that you are ready for the next episode of the story. Be happy azizam.

Nazy said...

I don't know what you guessed, Halat Jan, but I am telling the story more quickly now to finish it by Yalda. Kisses to you, too!

Nazy said...

Salam Nimeh Shab Jan:

Sorry if this post's length disappointed you. It is a love story, and I didn't want to go on too much about the pains each of those characters felt through the years. When I develop the story for a feature later this week, I will fix its shortcomings. Shad bash azizam.

Nazy said...

Salam Niloofar Jan:

All of us need love stories! It feels good to know that while we may have had setbacks, others have gone on and conquerred. It gives us hope. That's why I am never jealous of other people's happiness. Their happiness means that I, too, can have happiness, as it is not a finite quantity, happiness. In fact the more there is of it, the more it breeds! Hang tight my sweet friend.

Nazy said...

Salam Assal Jan, wait no more! Read Part III and I will post the next parts quickly thereafter. Be happy azizam.

مسعود said...

سلام نازی خانم.عجیبست دیروز وقتی پست اعلیحضرت را می خواندم خبری از لاو استوری نبود.امروز که آمدم می بینم این قبل از آنست.درهر حال خیلی ها زیبایی و حلاوت عشق را در رنج و حرمان آن می دانند و اصلا برخی تلخی فراق را شیرینتر از وصال و لقائ یار می دانند،پس این شیرینی را از ملت دریغ نکن،مگر اینکه مصر باشی عشقی را که در شب یلدا با یک "باشه" که طنزی هم درآن موج می زند،در شب یلدا تمام کنی.عشق مال همه عالمست اما ما ملت عشقیم
هرگز نمیردآنکه دلش زنده شد به عشق
ثبت است در جریده عالم دوام ما
عاشق بمان.

Nazy said...

Ha Ha, Masoud Jan, you are so observant! Actually, I had been working on that post in draft mode, and since I had started working on it earlier than the Ala Hazrat post, when I went to publish it, it appeared under the other post.

In his masterpieces, Nezami depicted the stories of both Khosrow and Shirin and of Leili and Majnoon. One story had chance encounters, separations, confrontations, and an eventual union (well, two, if you also count Khosrow and Shirin's union in death). The other story was ridden with longing and separation and doom. Which of those two love stories do you find more poignant and invigorating? I would vote for the love story of Khosrow and Shirin. Also, most love stories end in sadness. Only a few end in happiness. I like the ones with happy endings a lot more! Take care Masoud Jan.